Old Site Pages
7 Steps to a Great Church Website
The calendar module is a great tool to keep visitors coming back to your website. There are two different pieces you will want to make sure you use. First, you will want to make sure that the right people have access to add their events to the church calendar (more on that in User Management).
The second thing you want to make sure to do is use the “eventsnew” token, which will show the next events on your calendar along with a thumbnail photo on any page you select. We suggest that you list these on the home page and maybe also on the ministries page. This token automatically shows the next 3-5 events on your calendar and gives your website an up-to-date look. No more outdated events on your website – they automatically drop off at the end of the day! Let’s review how to add the “eventsnew” token first.
1) Log in by clicking on the User login/customize link at the bottom of the home page of your website. You will be shown the Welcome Page. Click on the Home page and then select edit from the bottom of the page.
2) Select the Template Data tab from the top of the page. This page describes the page you are going to edit. Scroll down until you come to a box with the heading ##custom 1##. This is the left-hand column on your home page. We are going to put your calendar in the right-hand column, so keep scrolling to the box headed with ##custom 2##. In this box, type the heading Calendar, and then under that heading type ##eventsnew## (don’t put a period after the token). Next, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Save and Publish. When placed on your home page, this token will automatically display upcoming events from your church calendar!
3) Next, from the Welcome Page select configure next to the Calendar of Events icon. Watch the short instructional video by clicking on the video icon in the top right-hand corner of this page. Now scroll down the configure page until you come to Calendar Categories. You can add a category now, but you don’t have to change anything yet. You need to notice this is where you can add and delete categories to your church’s calendar. Also, you will see that each category can have a thumbnail attached. This is very important because the ##eventsnew## you just put on your home page will show that thumbnail. If you don’t select one, there will be a blank spot with a little x on your home page, and you don’t want that.
4) Now, go back to the Welcome Page and click on Calendar of Events. You can add an event, edit an event, or add a location (optional) by selecting one of these options from the bottom of the Calendar of Events page. Click on add and fill out the information for an event you want added to your calendar. If you need to watch the video again or want to read the help page or fill out a help ticket, return to the configuration page.
5) There are two final points to make on the Calendar of Events. First, to the right of “Event Name or Title” is a selection box for “Show in ##eventsnew##.” If you want for this event to show on your home page, leave it checked. You may not want some events to be on the front page of your website. Items such as elder in charge of the service or which Sabbath school class is hosting the potluck may be best just listed on the calendar and not given front page billing. The last important point to make is that the “Event Details,” “Contact Name,” and “Location” are very important pieces. Visitors to your site may want to know more than a two-word description. Remember, people that are not members yet will visit your site! By typing in the address and zip of your event, a map is created that will allow for visitors to your site to get a map from their location to your picnic, youth event, or cooking school.Return to 7 Easy Steps